Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Dog days of August for me.

I am near the end. It can be the easiest or the hardest part of the process. I can be either excited to finally see the culmination of all my hard work or simply sick to death of looking at the same painting for such an extended period of time. Too close to call at this point. I have about 3-4 more days left. I am on day 17 and that is consecutive days with some serious long hours. It has taken me alot less time to do this than I thought. My last piece this big took 6 weeks, but I think the result was worth it.
I don't know much about the working habits of others. I certainly can tell some things just by looking at a painting, but I wonder to what extent other artists put in effort. My temperament is much better when I put in only 5-6 days. I am simply ready to move on to something else by that time. An artist that I know, Skip Steinworth, has told me after a few weeks he is "just settling in". By then I am ready to leave the table and cash in my chips.
I think this is turning out to be a nice piece. My tentative title is Genesis. I like the implications of what that could mean and what this image could be.
I will put the finished painting up on this blog this weekend. It is going to Arcadia Gallery in NY. The gallery is part of the LA Art Show in January and I hope to make a big, uh, splash, with it.. . . . . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment