Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Rachel and I went to see James Rosenquist speak tonight. I was never quite intrigued enough with his work to give it much time, but I am aware of his legacy and impact on American art. He was a good speaker and seemed humbled by his success, giving much credit to simple luck and timing. He answered a number of questions at the end, some of which seemed a bit trivial, but what has resonated with me is his response to a question about what advice he would give to an aspiring artist. He said work hard, pay attention to history, but don't try to emulate other artists. Do something no one else has done. Mostly, he said, just work hard. That I can identify with. It is in my family to work hard. The whole Cornell history is about working hard. Its go time.
The above painting I finished a few days ago. Distant Thunder, 5 1/2"x 7". Sending it to Quidley and Company in Boston. Nice people.
I have started my largest piece to date, 63"x 72". It is a painting of waves. It will be a real task to finish it and finish it well. It going to Santa Fe for a solo show in May. A lot to do
Work hard.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting. Rosenquist must be quite elderly now. I remember seeing his work @ MOMA in the late 60s and 70s. Is he still active?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I was just in Santa Fe this weekend and got to see your work there and I have to say I was extremely impressed with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rosenquist is still active, but to what degree I don't know really......................and Santa Fe, thank you. I keep evolving and I really don't always know where I am going..........Matthew

    ReplyDelete